Gap has always been about optimistic American style. Starting with our very first store on Ocean Avenue in San Francisco, opened almost 50 years ago by Doris and Don Fisher. The thread that's run through those five decades is the phenomenal people that make up our brand - our employees and our customers. People who are rooted in the legacy that makes Gap what it is, but who are also focused on the future. People who want to leave the world better than they found it.
We've built our brand on staying true to our roots whilst always being out in front of what's next. If you want to be part of an iconic American brand, and help lead the way for where we're headed, we'd love to have you join us.
About the role
The Senior Manager of Fabric R&D oversees Wovens for Women's, Men's & Kids for Gap Specialty and Outlet. The Sr. Manager of Fabric R&D possesses sound technical knowledge, drives strategic raw material initiatives and works with cross functional partners to leverage consumer insights, mill strategies, and key trends to drive fabric development, innovation, sustainability, costing, and positioning. The Sr. Manager of Fabric R&D monitors the development and bulk readiness of all developed fabrics to ensure samples and bulk product deliver on time and to our aesthetic and quality standards, working closely with GIS Asia partners to provide direction, source innovation, and problem solve throughout the development process.
What you'll do
Who you are
- Drive fabric process discipline throughout product-to-market calendar to ensure alignment at each key milestone from Mill Week to Fabric Alignment to Sampling and finally Bulk production
- Analyze fabric needs across the brand. Communicate recommendations to Design and cross functional partners for leveraging qualities across divisions.
- Partner with Design, Product Development, and Merchandising to ensure that fabrics are within the V/G/B/B pricing architecture.
- Identify fabrics that need to be cost engineered and communicate with the Mills and GIS Mill Management team.
- Seek sustainable fabric alternatives that fit costing parameters.
- Ensure sustainable raw materials meet all global certification requirements
- Demonstrate a sound understanding of design, merchandising, and product development priorities.
- Support the utilization of brand fabric liabilities to Design and Merchandising seasonally.
- Track all components of the fabric and wash resource library to support seasonal inspiration as well as archive Gap Brand platformed fabrics.
- Track Fabric development Metrics/KPIs and brand discipline on number of seasonal developments
- Track fabric testing report and risk assessment to level set expectations across functional areas
Benefits at Gap
- Strong experience with fabric constructions, dye techniques, finishes, garment construction and manufacturing/sourcing processes.
- Knowledgeable in sustainable initiatives for fibers, fabrics, chemistry, water.
- Proactively solve problems and effectively manage multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated success leading and developing teams (direct and dotted line reporting relationships).
- Proven ability to influence and make decisions across geographies where speed and cultural sensitivity is crucial.
- Experience leading with and without authority to collaborate and influence others and drive decision-making
- Strong communication, analytical, negotiation, and presentation skills. Proficient computer skills (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word, etc)
- Demonstrated curiosity, motivated to learn new skills and knowledge.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
- 8+ years in textile industry working with fabrics
- Merchandise discount for our brands: 50% off regular-priced merchandise at Gap, 30% off at Gap Outlet, and the ability to purchase discounted merchandise during international travel at Banana Republic, Athleta, Intermix and Old Navy.
- Pension schemes available, depending on role.
- Market-leading private medical healthcare and well-being programme.*
- Voluntary medical cash plan open to all employees.
- Performance-related discretionary bonuses.*
- Access to our Employee Support Programme for overall well-being.
*For eligible employees